Son in law eggs or Thai Fried Hard-Boiled Eggs in Tamarind Sauce
is very well known dish for Thai people, we called this menu “Son-in-law Eggs – Kai Loog Keuy” or in Thai “ไข่ลูกเขย”
We eat this dish with steamed rice, you can also eat this menu with congee.
Sour, sweet and salty are all combination taste that represent “Thai cuisine” and I believed everyone loves Thai food because of all those tastes :)))
Note: it’s very traditional if you can find “Palm sugar”. However, if you don’t have you can also use “brown sugar” , brown sugar can also give you the best result but the important ingredient is “Shallots” (I don’t have because I am too lazy to go out to supermarket but if you have shallots please fry it exactly like I fried my slided garlic
It’s very easy to cook even though it probably look so difficult. Cooking time is not that long just 30 mins after all. You just need to boil your 3 duck eggs and cook the sauces.
Today I am gonna show you how to cook this son in law eggs step by step.
Let’s start with ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil (for making tamarind sauce)
- 1 Litre or just 400g of Vegetable Oil (for frying eggs and garlic and shallot)
- 2 Tbsp. of Tamarind Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Palm Sugar (Or cut half) (if you don’t have you can use brown sugar)
- 1 Tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 3 Boiled Duck/ Chicken Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Fried Shallots
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic
- 5 fried Dried Chilies (if you don’t have it’s fine, don’t need to put in the plate it’s just for decoration)
- 1 Seed Sliced Red Chili (chop length wise) (but if you don’t have it’s fine, don’t need to put in the plate, it’s just for decoration)
- Coriander Leaves (for decoration)
- 3 tbsp. of water (mix with sauce)
How to cook
I am gonna start with boiling 3 chicken/duck eggs until it’s cooked, approx. 10 minutes boiling then cool it down, please make sure it’s hard-boiled eggs. Leave it aside.
Next, pouring vegetable oil to the saucepan (medium height around 1-2 inches) to fry the eggs, please make sure it’s medium heat but hot enough. Once the oil is hot, gently drop the hard-boiled eggs into it. Stir the eggs around to ensure it’s turning to golden brown. Then, fish them out with a slotted spoon and leave it aside.
Use the left vegetable oil to fry the shallot and garlic, make sure all turn to golden brown color and crispy. Then, leave it aside and let them cool down. I only fried garlic because I don’t have shallot but you should fry both if you have shallot it will make your dish more tasty as it’s very important ingredients.
Then it’s time for cooking sauce
How to make sauce
- Add 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil in the fried pan
- Wait until it’s hot, please make sure it’s medium heat
- Add tamarind juice, palm sugar, fish sauce and water; bring the mixture to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Once the sugar has fully dissolved, check for consistency. The sauce should have the consistency of maple syrup. If at this point the sauce is still not thick enough, reduce it down however, If it is too thick, add more water to to reduce the thickness. Once all mixed well, remove the skillet from heat and pour the sauce over the prepared eggs.
How to prepare eggs
Very easy, just cut in half and put in the dish
Pouring the tamarind sauce over the prepared eggs then sprinkle fried shallots and garlics, then Voila!! 🙂 delicious!
It’s time to eat
If you prefer to watch this son in law eggs as a clip you can watch in YouTube
Thank you for reading and watching !
See you next time!
Please don’t forget to support me by subscribing my YouTube Channel and also follow me on Facebook Page and Twitter